Final Project: Gapminder Shiny App, a tribute to GapMinder Foundation

(short summary required for this project is in the bottom.)

Hello,

I have always been a fan of Hans Rosling. I saw his famous "bubble graph" TED Talk about 6 years ago, and I just said that's something I want to do later in life. So, I am just big fan of data visualization. I have already done a static version of GapMinder in Module# 6
However for my final project, my approach was let's give it some friction. So I first just took the code base from Module# 6 and gganimated it. It looks something like this:

But this is not enough. This is not personable. Whenever a graph is interactive, it becomes personal. So I made this into Shiny from ground up. Here is working screenshot of that:
Whole code base for this Shiny app can be found in my repository. Feel free to take a look at it, and if you see something worth having, feel free to use it in your project too.

~Thanks,
Mihir.

Short summary:
  • Problem description: I wanted to evaluate whether higher GDP countries have more life expectancy.  Final numbers can lie without comparing many scenarios when we are doing data modeling. For instance, we often hear the argument that we spend too much on military compared to other countries. However, in terms of spending by GDP, we are not even in top 10. Similarly, using GapMinder I wanted to evaluate that, does high GDP really matters in the Life expectancy?
  • Related work: Source of inspiration for this project came from the GapMinder foundation and Hans Rosling's TED Talk.
  • Solution: I made final output through deviation analysis. I had to distribute the data into appropriate categories. Luckily, there is a package that contains the dataset. So I had to do only little cleaning. The answer I got at the end, yes, higher economic growth (high GDP) raises the life expectancy for people living in those countries. Because people can afford better sanitation, healthcare, education and food. My coding steps can be found in my GitHub repository.

Comments